Sunday, June 3, 2007

95% grody, 50% boring, 80% patience and 100% inspiration

Yes, I know, motherhood is nobility. It is a higher calling. It places a woman closer to God. But the expression of these ideas only comes about 5% of the time. The remainder of the job is filled with things that a noble would never do.

Like changing stinky pants.

And waking up to the phrase "Mami! Mocos en mi nose! Wipeee!"

95% of our existence is grody.
And mundane.
And seemingly futile.

So today let's talk about the little things that go along with motherhood. What is your favorite part of the daily grind? Not the heartwarming moments, not the part that makes you say "Yes! I am doing it!" The parts that don't even register most days.

For me, it is nail trimming. I love trimming the little nails. (Even though I have to do it every few days because I keep feeding the Jooj, so she keeps growing.)

I love to clip her nails because when we brought our daughter home (well, to ~J's house, so my home away from home) I felt confident that I would be able to do all of the things required to keep her alive and ticking. Except for trimming the nails. All I knew was that everyone told me about how scary and tricky it was, and that I would eventually make my darling bundle bleed from her tiny fingers. I asked everyone to show me how to do it, but the timing was never there. So, at the point of Jooj turning into Howard Hughes, I geared up, read the book, and took a breath. And I did it. No blood! And it was the biggest affirmation for me--I could do this, the mothering thing, on my own. And I remember that every single time we do the mani/pedi shuffle.

6 comments:

QueenScarlett said...

Trimming nails... yes - it's satisfying... for an 8 month old it means she won't scratch herself, or me to bits. For a 2 and half year old - it means getting all that gunk that collects out from under her nails.

I like feeding Melia. I do a good job getting all the food from her corners back into her mouth.

I love feeding them fruit..and watching it disappear.

I think I'm one of those moms that show love by fattening you up.

Once I'm awake and moving - I think it's cute she broke through the gate in her room to run into her sister's room - just to be with her. Or... breaking out to say "hello mommy" WAY to friggin' early even for me. At the moment I have a very tired, grumpy face... so much so that I get requests "Mommy, happy face."

Carina said...

I love clean ears. I love cleaning their ears.

soybeanlover said...

I love making baby food. I like cooking, it's a passion, but I feel so fulfilled when I fill up the ice cube tray with some new concotion to freeze and microwave later for the baby. Though my house cleanliness level does suffer because of it.

QueenScarlett said...

q-tipping their noses... and you get a big one. I did that tonight... and flossing and getting out food.

sarah k. said...

I love cute little freshly bathed nekkid bums streaking through my house. I love hugs and kisses. I love it when my 3YO takes my face in both hands and tells me he likes me, then gives me sloppy kisses. I do the grody stuff so I can have the good stuff.

Brooke said...

that's like 325%!!!

further proving that mommies can and will always be stretched beyond normal human capacity!