Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Heels

I must admit I rolled my eyes when Sissy G put on a pair of strappy 4 inch heels to go to Sam's Club with me today.
I decided it was a battle I'd rather not fight and agreed to let her wear them....certain she would take them off within minutes for comfort's sake.
I was wrong...my girly girl not only wore them the entire shopping trip, but strode, strutted, and glided in them like a runway model!!
I don't encourage this. In fact, I think heels--while they look pretty and make your legs look better--are ridiculous in everyday living. (It doesn't mean if you wear them I think YOU are ridiculous) I think they are going to ruin your feet. That's all I'm sayin'.
I'm uber practical. I'm busy. I work hard. And I can't be bothered with feet that hurt!
(It doesn't mean if you wear them I think you aren't any of the above)
At 12 years old, she's already 5'4". Her birthmother was 5'11" and the birthfather was nearly 7'. She is going to be tall. Heels may not be something she is interested in for much longer.

When a fun song with a good beat came on overhead, I looked over and Sissy Girl was dancing in her fancy heels like no one was watching. With twirls, chass'es, and step ball changes.

Oh, to be that uninhibited....

We went to the shoe store later. I bought myself a nice pair of practical flats and two pairs of adorable peep toe heels for her.

I know I won't always delight in our differences...but I have a feeling my dear daughter will be teaching me a thing or two about style.....and substance.

14 comments:

Fig said...

On the other hand, she may grow up to revel in her height, like me. Granted I'm only 5'9", but when I've got heels that make me 6'1", I am a happy woman.

You are a fun mom. I can tell.

b. said...

knowing sissy g. like I do...she will revel in her height...there's not much that brings her down.
(disclaimer: she hasn't really hit the pissy teenage girl phase yet either....maybe she won't?)

La Yen said...

That makes me happy. I need to go find me some delicious heels. Do they go with sweats?

Lisa said...

Awww! I love this! She sounds so cute! My girls love heels, too. And we are all tall. My 11 year old just got some wedges and she is so so happy!

b. said...

yen...are you a heels girl?

I used to wear them, but after a couple of years of plantar fascitis and heel spurs...I kissed them goodbye forever.

Lisa, your girls are beautiful...I love when they find simple pleasures!

b. said...

fasciitis

Carina said...

Heels are the best things ever. They certainly beat sliced bread.

Jillybean said...

Loved this!
My daughter will be quite tall too. The last time we went shoe shopping I had her try on all sorts of heels. (she's only 10 but wears a womens 5 1/2)
She didn't like them. She kept falling off of them.
However, she IS a girly girl and it will only be a matter of time........

Klin said...

My youngest has played basket ball in heels. I thought she'd twist and sprain her ankle for sure. Nope.

Hey, I have that plantar facist stuff in my feet, too. Makes wearing shoes yucky.

We need a girls day out. With our girls. Manicures or something.

dalene said...

You already know how much I love this post...

b. said...

(thank you, again.)

Geo said...

I'm betting on "revels in tallness."

Word verification: splain.

Tonya said...

My feet just will not allow the heels but they do look so nice. Good for Sissy girl that she dances like noone is watching. I hope she never looses that.

Admin said...

I remember feeling offended as a teenager when someone said to me, "I remember when I was your age. Back then I wore heels all the time, too."

Fast forward to today where I would not buy an uncomfortable pair of shoes unless it was the last pair on the planet, and I refrain from saying that very same thing to my teenager who wears spike heels with every outfit.